Breath Blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Mighty Breath


"First of all the twinkling stars vibrated, but remained motionless in space, then all the celestial globes were united into one series of movements... Firmament and planets both disappeared, but the MIGHTY BREATH, which gives life to all things and in which all is bound up, remained."

- Vincent Van Gogh

What this celebrated artist is getting at is that there in only one reliable thing in life.

Interestingly the only picture my mother had in her room was one by Vincent - in retrospect that choice seems to have reflected an empathy with his very troubled life, rather than his mysticism.

What these words say to me, though, are: if the MIGHTY BREATH is all that is reliable, and if I give more of myself over to its healing winds - surrender to them if you like - will the low level misery that I accept as "my life" start to fade? And metamorphise into a more rewarding, less self-piteous place to be... I believe it will...

More blogs about breath blog.