Breath Blog

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A bad cold - another insight into my breath

For the past six days I've been laid up with a rotten cold...and feeling, probably unduly sorry for myself.

The worst part of it has been having a really blocked up nose - the sort you need a plumber for... It has meant the relative discomfort of mouth breathing and waking up in the middle of the night with a desiccated mouth and a sore throat.

Eucalyptus Oil rubbed into my chest and burned on an electric oil burner helped a bit.

Earlier this evening, I felt a bit cooped up and decided I needed a walk...and sure enough after 20 minutes strolling, my nose unbunged. And, yes, it was my right nostril that cleared. I had kind of predicted this, knowing that I needed physical energy; the type the yogis claim is inhaled through that side of the nose.

I'm back home now with a mostly re-blocked nose, but faintly pleased with myself that I have another small insight into my deeply fascinating breath...

And it's made me more than ever aware of how nice it is to breathe properly again, after a lifetime of mouth breathing. The last three and half years of retraining myself to breathe through my nose have been life-changing, in the sense of retuning me back into my body's natural rhythms and processes...

More blogs about breath blog.