Breath Blog

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Expectation - the pits


There is no greater enemy to those who would please than expectation.

- Montaigne

Expectation is a major hurdle; it blocks gratitude; it disables my enjoyment reflex; it turns the universe into a petty playground, where the exercise of my own will is preferable to the cosmic unfolding of every moment.

On a breath level, I guess I do expect that I will breath another breath, just about all the time. The fact is, of course, one day I won't.

There is, to paraphrase Montaigne, no greater block to reality and joy than expectation. At the heart of expectation there is probably fear and resentment - an untutored arrogance, operating from a perspective of weakness, that assumes I know how things should be operating...

As much of a struggle as it is, giving up expectation can really open up some amazing doors...

More blogs about breath blog.